Cortana provides services in its different forms varying according to the devices. Cortana is found in all kinds of devices like Android, Windows phone and obviously in Windows PC.
Microsoft’s virtual or say digital assistant (Cortana) collects some information related to you which includes your contact information, location, internet history, inking and typing, the way you talk or your voice for sure. So some user finds it unsuitable for them and today we will be pointing out the steps on how to disable Cortana permanently in Windows 10.
Microsoft first announced their virtual assistant ‘Cortana’ back in 2014 for Windows Phone 8.1 which they claim to be the first-ever virtual assistant and it played well in the market against Apple’s Siri and Google’s Google Now.
Cortana was a great hit at that time but it became caught its hype in the US in PC than in mobile devices after they launched Windows 10. Cortana is able to do tasks that its other competitors can not do. You can simply ask Cortana to set reminders, search the web, set alarms, search for anything in your PC, keep track of your flights and even chat with you and crack a joke just in a saying of “Hey, Cortana”. Is not that amazing?
As a lazy guy, I personally find Cortana really amazing and prefer using it time and often but for most of the privacy concerned people, they do not prefer Cortana much. Cortana collects your data and fetches it to show the same kind of results you prefer.
The more you use Cortana, the more it knows about you and can interact with you in a much efficient way and assist you accordingly. Windows 10 has been an option for gamers too because Its first-time windows provide You a gaming mode feature while You can also Check How to optimize windows 10 for gaming mode.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 pro?
There are basically two ways to disable Cortana but as this is for those who are really really concerned about their privacy so we will also be showing how can you delete all the personal information that is stored in your account while you used Cortana.
- Click on the search button or hit the windows key from your keyboard and type “Edit group policy” and open it.
- Click on Computer Configuration and then look for Administrative Templates and click on it.
- Click on Windows Components and then hit on the Search option.
- Click “Disabled” and then click OK.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home?
It’s not as direct as in Windows 10 Pro to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home but it is a bit of a trick and you can disable Cortana with Registry. You can follow these steps:
- Click on the search button or hit the Windows key from your keyboard and search for “Regedit” and open it.
- Click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and expand it.
- Expand SOFTWARE and then search for Policies.
- Expand Microsoft and finally expand Windows.
- Right, click the Windows folder and a drop-down menu appears and then New>DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Type “AllowCortana” and then hit enter.
- Double click on “AllowCortana” and enter 0 under the Value Data.
- Finally, restart your PC and boom there you go. Cortana should be disabled by now.
Now you will see “Search Windows” or “Type here to search” instead of “Ask me anything”.
Cortana is disabled from your PC now but still, it is there in your computer in passive form waiting for you to say “Hey Cortana”. So here are the steps to follow to stop Cortana from collecting your information:
- Click on the search button.
- Open Cortana’s settings.
- Turn off every toggle from On to Off.
- Click on “Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud”.
- A page will be fetched in the start panel named “Personal Information”.
- Click on “Clear”.
How to delete personal data from the Microsoft servers?
First of all, you need to go to the Bing Settings page and then sign in with the same Microsoft account you want to delete the data of. Click on the “Clear personal info” and “Other Cortana Data and Personalized Speech, Inking, and Typing”. A pop-up menu will appear, hit on the confirm delete and that’s all you can do to delete your data from Microsoft server.
Now every information that is stored in Microsoft’s server is now clear but remember that the data is clear only for the single device from which you used in this process. So to make sure you can clear the data with the same process from all the Microsoft devices you own.