If You are wandering here and there to know about service host superfetch and How does it work in running windows and how to disable superfetch in Windows, then, You are probably in the right place. So, without any delay, lets jump right into the topic.
What is Service Host Superfetch?
Service Host superfetch is a perfect example of features becoming a headache. After windows vista Windows started to come with many system processes to manage system files and One of them is service host Superfetch. Microsoft wanted to make this process as a memory manager, who works By analyzing usages and patterns for optimizing memory.
One of The most common problems This process gives is High disk usages (memory leaks) which make your pc/Laptop slower.
It’s a fact that no one wanted to use laggy Device so Here we have come with a solution to this process as well as other Things You need to know about Superfetch process.
Service Host SuperFetch is a Windows process that was Microsoft introduced to make faster and improve hard drive performance like Cortana. But, the real problem comes when most of the users face and complain about it causing slowdown with an SSD. So let’s go a little bit deeper into this matter and know about this in a particular way.
SuperFetch is a memory manager that examines usage patterns over time to optimize memory content. It was initially introduced in Windows Vista as a successor to PreFetch, which was found in Windows XP.
It helps third-party apps and critical Windows components to administer everyday tasks quickly. Superfetch stores and reads data for regularly used apps directly from RAM instead of storing to the hard drive to achieve good speed.
The main objective of the feature is to speed up application load times for those running hard drives—especially older ones.
If you are using an SSD, you don’t need SuperFetch to pre-load an application because programs run remarkably fast on SSD in comparison to HDD.
So, you won’t see any noticeable change in SSD-driven applications whereas it brings proper improvement in the performance of hard-drive.
What makes it report 100% system high disk usage?
At this point, you should have got a pretty good knowledge about Service Host Superfetch but, you might be still wondering about how it takes up high disk usage in Windows 10.
Superfetch is like drive caching. The memory managing process itself occupies and use some amount of RAM to make it run without any problems.
It copies all your commonly used files to RAM which allows programs to boot faster. However, if your system doesn’t have the latest hardware, it was evident that Service Host Superfetch will cause high disk usage.
Probably, That’s not the only reason.
Sometimes, it can mess up on its own, not knowing when to stop or which process to pre-load. On bootups, it runs all the operations at one time, which could have been executed later on, which makes things even worse.
Service Host SuperFetch might occasionally go wrong and cause more problems than the service it offers. Since SuperFetch is always running in the background, it does make use of some system resources like CPU and RAM.
If you’re running a heavily optimized system or one with particularly weak hardware, it could cause slowdowns which most of us hate.
Most of the windows users also complain on how Superfetch comes in their way while playing games, taking high CPU usage, and cause frame rate drops.
It’s possible that because of the road games will pick up and drop RAM as and when it’s needed, that SuperFetch is getting in the way and causing gameplay stumbles while everything shuffles around in memory.
How do I disable Superfetch host and fix it?
If you have a PC with high-end specs, you might not have any problems with the SuperFetch.
If your system is running fine with no slowdowns, it’s unlikely you’ll see any differences or improvements after disabling the SuperFetch.
However, should you be facing spikes of CPU or HDD usage, it would be the right decision if you want to disable it temporarily and check if it can be any useful.
But, It’s total up to you whether to keep it or disable it. If you want to disable it, You can follow the guidelines given below to disable it.
Method 1: Disable superfetch from windows service
- You might have a question like can I disable Superfetch service Windows 10?
- Search “Run” in the Windows 10 search option, or you can press Windows key + “R” to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type “Services.msc” into the “Open” box and click the “OK” button, or hit Enter.
- Scroll down the list of services until you find “SuperFetch.” Once you find it, Right-click on that entry and select “Properties” from the resulting menu.
- Once the Properties window pops up, click on “Stop.”
- From the ‘startup type’ drop-down menu in Properties, click Disabled.
That’s it. If you want to make sure it’s disabled, you can go to Task Manager and check your disk usage. If it’s showing normal usage, the work is done.
Method 2: Disable superfetch with registry
You can also disable Service Host Superfetch from the Windows registry. Follow the steps to disable it using Registry.
- Press the Windows key and “R” key at a time or search “Run” in the search option to open up the Run dialogue box.
- In the Run dialogue box, type “Regedit” and hit Enter on your keyboard.
- Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder Once the registry window appears.
- Under this folder, navigate to SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > PrefetchParameters.
- Double-click on the ‘Enable Superfetch’ value on the right side.
- If you can’t find this value listed, perform the following additional steps: i. Right-click on the PrefetchParameters folder.
- ii. From options, open New > DWORD Value.
- iii. Now enter ‘0’ as the value to disable this service.
- iv. Click on OK.
- You can close the Registry editor.
Now, You’re good to go to the task manager and check yourself whether there is normal disk usage or it is like that of before. If it’s like that of before, you might have done something wrong so, you can look at the steps above and follow the instructions carefully.
well with Registry you can disable Cortana in Windows 10 easily.
Method 3: Disable Using Command Prompt
You can also disable Service Host SuperFetch using Command Prompt. Here are the steps to follow:
- Search “Cmd” in Windows Search.
- Right-click on it and select “Run as administrator
- On the Command Prompt (Cmd); Type “net.exe stop superfetch” and Press Enter.
- Similarly, type “sc config sysmain start=disabled” and Press Enter.
- You can now close “cmd” and, open task manager to check the usage.
I hope this guide has provided you with enough information about Service Host SuperFetch and how to disable it. You can now quickly bring your disk usage back to normal by using any method given above. The choice is yours!
Also, check- fix Corrupted Sd card with command prompt (CMD)
Have problem still watch this Video to disable superfetch
Is superfetch important?
This is a common thought that most users have after finding out that Superfetch is creating a disk usage problem and Started to look out do pc need it, can we disable it Here is a straight answer, for the most part, superfetch is very useful for modern computers.
Superfetch is not a problem if you have a good specs computer but if you have low-end pc super fetch create many issues. Super fetch can be disabled, and you can still run Your pc without any problem.
If you perform a simple task, then it’s better not to touch it, but for gamers, it always recommends To disable it.
Is service host superfetch is a virus?
The direct answer to this question is No Superfetch is a feature of windows not a virus. You can turn it off if You don’t like it.